Feeling Twitter-pated or Twitter-hated? 4 Ways to Find Your Twitter Flair.
August 18, 2011 2 Comments
Sometimes you feel like you are doing all you can to find followers, post creative content, interact with targeted tweets, and keep up on the latest tweeting trends. And you are not making much progress.
So how can you avoid those inevitable twitter blues? Pun intended (the twitter bird, Larry, is blue after all). Those times when you are tested and perhaps testy about your success rate. Those times where you are trying and tumbling to maximize your reach.
With the following tips, tricks & trends, hopefully you can remain blissfully Twitter-pated.
Four ways to find your Twitter flair:
Finding Followers: This can be tricky. Is your goal for quality, or quantity? Most studies (and opinions) show that the depth of your following is better than the amount. Your Twitter voice will resonate more with a captive and calculated audience.
- FOCUS on your audience and goals (who are you trying to reach, and why)
- FOLLOW people you want to follow you back (everyone likes to be followed)
- FORMAT your profile, bio, avatar so you appear authentic and interesting
- FORM relationships for credibility with public, government, association, 3rd party entities
- FIND incentives, rewards or ways you can help out other Twitter users
- FORGET all those follow-back, direct message or other schemes (seems like spam)
Creative Content: With over 750 tweets happening per second, you need to stand out. Real-time mediums like Twitter make ‘new’ content a volatile and fleeting attempt. Content that is valuable to followers and industries you are targeting is much more likely be re-Tweeted or mentioned.
- CONCISE wording and descriptions will help, 120 characters or less
- CHARACTER helps give your tweets a distinct voice (humor, professionalism, etc.)
- CHOOSEY in the content you post, only innovative or interesting material
- CHARISMA can exist in word form, engage people to make your content stand out
- CLARITY in your messages so that followers get the point (and get it quickly)
Targeted Tweets: Here the five W’s surely apply. Make sure you are attending to who, what, where, when and why you are tweeting. Being relevant is key. The more targeted the tweets, the better value you are adding to your audience.
- WHO is your audience, and the communities you are trying to influence
- WHAT are your objectives (branding, influence, education, satire, etc.)
- WHERE is your audience located (time zone, city/rural, region)
- WHEN is your audience online (5pm daily, certain days of week more effective)
- WHY does your audience care, ensure your tweets add value to your followers
Tweeting Trends: If you ain’t growing, you’re dying. Keeping up with an extremely fast paced medium is going to take some time and effort. Invest in your Twitter time and focus on the industry leaders to help guide you on the latest trends in social media.
- TRACK what is new and different
- TREND the best practices of others, and see what might work for your tweets
- TEST out platforms, apps, plug-ins, sites that seem reputable and value-added
- TRY to focus on time saving or beneficial extras, or you will get bogged down
- TECHNOLOGY magazines, publications, newsletters and blogs to help you are endless
Feeling Twitter-hated? Sometimes that happens when the feeling is overwhelming and the task seems daunting. Standing out in a crowd of 140 million tweets per day is not going to be easy. Finding your niche, your audience, your voice and your character will distinguish you amidst the crowd.
More info? SoMeffect@gmail.com or @SoMeffect | firstname.lastname@example.org or @Taryn44